Thursday, August 15, 2013

Allison's Birthday Party

Allison came into town just a few weeks after her birthday so Laurann, Mom, and I decided to have a little surprise birthday party for her. My contribution was the cake, so I decided to try working with fondant. Lindsey is pretty much a pro at it so I called her and she gave me some tips. Mine didn't turn out nearly as good as hers...as a matter of fact, it kinda looks like Chandler did it. But it was a first effort, and I had a lot of fun doing it, so hopefully it gets better.

I didn't feel ready to cover the entire cake with fondant since it was my first time using it, so I just frosted it. My plan for the cake was to make little symbols of my, Laurann, and Catherine's (who sadly couldn't be there) friendship with Allison. So...here it is. 



The Buddha is for when she was on her mission in Indonesia:


Cinderella's castle and the Mickey Mouse ears are for when we took our Senior trip to Disney World:


The Leaning Tower of Pisa and pizza are for when Allison, Laurann, and Catherine went to Italy:



The palm tree, pineapple, and flip flops are for when Allison and I did a semester at BYU-Hawaii:


There was also a speedboat and tubes for all the years we have gone boating together, a swim suit for all the times we'd go to the pool, a Y for when we went to BYU, a graduation cap for when we all graduated high school together and and IB for the program we were in, and a campfire for when we went to girl's camp (I wanted to have her smiling and me crying next to it because she loved camp and I hated it, but that is waaaay beyond my skill level).

I just used box chocolate fudge cake mix to save on time. But I did make vanilla buttercream and strawberry filling to go between the layers and cream cheese frosting to ice it. 

When Allison came through the door, we sprayed her with Silly String. And then Mom had to quickly use stain remover on her shirt. (Don't worry; she was a good sport and the spots came out.)

Then Mom served us a fabulous lunch of spinach salad, chicken wraps, and fruit with whipped cream which we ate out in the pool. When we started eating it was a beautiful, sunny day but by the end of the meal it started to rain. So we went inside and talked for awhile before everyone headed home. 

Also, this trip was the first time Allison has gotten to meet Chandler!



No comments:

Post a Comment