Wednesday, October 20, 2010

We Got Book Learnin'

Josh and I have decided that we need to make an attempt at being cultured. We read several classics in high school, and some since, but we need to make a more active effort. Therefore, we have made a goal to continually read classics. And instead of just checking them out of the library, we have decided that we would buy them to keep in our home library, in hopes that one day they will be available to our children so that they can learn the importance of reading and education (and hopefully be better than I am at avoiding wordy, run-on sentences). Unfortunately, they'll have to settle for the cheap paperback versions instead of the leather-bound editions with gold embossed titles, because, let's face it, we're on a student/newlywed budget.

So, awhile back, Josh and I made a trip to Barnes and Noble to pick our first novels. I decided to kick off my literary stint with Les Miserables and Josh is starting with The Count of Monte Cristo.

So, far, I have definitely enjoyed Les Miserables. The characters are fascinating, and the story line is interesting (even though it can be seriously depressing! This book was very aptly named). I love Jean Valjean, I hate Javert and Thernadier, and the verdict is still out on Cosette and Marius, because they can be kind of annoying. Also, Victor Hugo is a rambler! Admittedly, I have stopped reading it for days at a time because I'll hit a part where he rants about the Battle of Waterloo, or life in a convent, or Argot forever! But, aside from that, I really like it so far. And whenever I read it, I want to walk around singing "On My Own."

Josh has also been enjoying The Count of Monte Cristo. So much, in fact, that he is planning on doing another Dumas book for his next choice! Beyond that, you'll have to ask Josh for his opinion because I haven't read it yet. (Yes, I realize that no opinions were solicited in the first place...)I'm getting close to finishing Les Mis, so I'm excited that it's almost time to go pick a new book!

4 comments:

  1. Are you guys reading them unabridged? Because let me tell you, I read Les Mis abridged and there was STILL ample room for rambling, so I can only imagine what they cut out. I agree that it is an amazing(ly depressing) book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what I was thinking.... unabridged? Les Mis is on my list but def the abridged version. I am a habitual skimmer so it would be awful for me. I do love collecting books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am jealous. Please convince Tyler this is a good idea. He's not into buying books knowing that we'll be moving at least twice in the next year... and he would be the one carrying the boxes. My library card, however, is really racking up the mileage these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to read the count of monte cristo too! it is so good!

    ReplyDelete