Saturday, December 20, 2014

December 15, 2014

On Monday morning, Josh and I got up and ready to go to be at the hospital for our scheduled C-section at 11:30. Halston was kind enough to come and watch Chandler at our house so that Mom and Dad could be at the hospital. We kissed Chandler goodbye (it was kind of sad to see him as our only child for the last time!) and headed out.

We went to the front desk at the hospital and told them that I was here for our 11:30 C-section, to which they replied that I wasn't on the schedule. So I tried not to panic while they made several phone calls to try and figure out what was going on. Thankfully, after a few minutes, they called us up and said they got everything taken care of and got us checked in and into a prep room. We went through all the paperwork and they put my IV in (in my arm instead of in my hand? Don't know why) and then they let my parents, Jordan, Kaitlyn, and Maylee come back and the men gave me a priesthood blessing. Just a little bit later, they were wheeling me off!



For some bizarre reason unknown to man, they told me that Josh couldn't be in the room while I got my epidural. I'm a huge baby when it comes to pain, and my last epidural was so horrendous, that this really wasn't ideal for me. The anesthesiologist said I could squeeze his hand of instead, and despite my weird thing about hating to touch other people, I had to take him up on it because I knew I would squirm if I didn't have an anchor on something and I didn't want to end up paralyzed. So they sat me up to do the epidural, which was exceedingly painful. She had to stick me about 3 times and at one point I felt the freezing cold liquid splash all down my back while she was trying to get it in. Eventually, I realized she must have been training because the man who's hand I was squeezing kept calling out directions and advice and asking if she was doing things a certain way. After several painful minutes in which I was bawling into a pillow, they were done and laid me down to begin the part which was almost worse. I haaaaaaaate the sensation of not being able to move or feel my legs because it makes me feel like I'm going crazy. I kept repeating in my head to be mentally strong, because part of me really wanted to tell them to knock me all the way out. But, I really wanted to see baby immediately after she was born, so that was the only thing that made me not. (And yes, I am stupidly dramatic in medical situations.) Anyways, once I was all set, they let Josh come in and it made it better that he could talk to me and distract me while they finished getting set up. Finally, I was all ready and they told us they were going to begin. It's a very strange sensation to have somebody sawing into you and not be able to feel it. After a few minutes the anesthesiologist who held my hand (who was HUGE and wearing a camo head-covering) told me to prepare for a lot of pressure because they were about to pull the baby out. And then he put his hands on the top of my stomach and started doing compressions using all of his body weight while saying "take deep breaths!" to which I gasped that I couldn't take deep breaths when he was crushing my lungs. This went on for several minutes and I thought I was going to pass out. They were having a little bit of a hard time getting the baby out. Finally, at 2:00 pm, our beautiful baby was out and we heard her first sweet little cry! They held her up over the covering for about 2 seconds so we could see her and then went to wrap her up.









After that, they brought her over and let her lay next to me for about 60 seconds so I could meet her. At this point she wasn't crying anymore and was the most perfect, beautiful baby girl I had ever seen! One of the nurses was nice enough to take pictures for us.




After that, they took baby away to get cleaned up while I went to the recovery room.

No comments:

Post a Comment